St. Vincent Emergency Physicians
Point of Care Ultrasound (POCUS) is a diverse tool that has been proven to expedite the diagnosis of many life threatening conditions. POCUS enables rapid bedside evaluation of unstable trauma patients, unstable pregnant patients, patients with suspected vascular emergencies, and patients with undifferentiated hypotension.
SVEP established and maintains a comprehensive emergency ultrasound program focused on improving patient outcomes, safely performing invasive procedures, improving patient flow, and improving patient satisfaction. There is a dedicated ED ultrasound machine at all of our clinical sites. SVEP is a leader in POCUS education and expanding its use throughout our facilities and Ascension Health.
- Patient Care - our program follows ACEP guidelines to train our physicians and frequent hands on training sessions are available covering multiple core applications and advanced ultrasound topics. Both training and patient care studies are stored on a Q-path workflow system, allowing rapid Quality Assurance and feedback to our physicians. Credentialing numbers are continuously tracked and available on Q-path.
- Resident Education - SVEP provides education and has expanded use of POCUS for multiple departments, including Surgery, IM, FM, and Pediatrics. We conduct multiple courses a year including Trauma Ultrasound (FAST), US Guided Central Venous Line Placement, MSK US, and multiple other topics.
- RN Education - SVEP conducts regular US Guided Peripheral IV courses with didactics and gel based models and established a practice based credentialing system. Many nurses have completed this popular program using their skills to improve patient flow through the ED.
- Training, Program Maintenance, and Quality Assurance for Ascension Emergency Departments - SVEP has conducted multiple POCUS courses and provided assistance with POCUS program initiation and physician credentialing to multiple ED throughout the state.
- EMS POCUS Education and Quality Assurance - SVEP has been a pioneer in introduction of POCUS to multiple EMS providers. We are implementing point of care ultrasound programs and providing training and quality assurance for local EMS departments.